Loaves & Fishes/Friendship Trays is the merger of two longstanding hunger fighters. Loaves & Fishes provides a week’s worth of nutritionally balanced groceries to individuals and families experiencing a short-term crisis through a network of emergency food pantries located throughout Mecklenburg County.
Friendship Trays delivers nutritious meals to elderly or infirm individuals in the Charlotte community who are unable to obtain or prepare their own meals while also providing human connection to the isolated and lonely and peace of mind to their families.
Now stronger together in fighting hunger, it is the mission of Loaves & Fishes/Friendship Trays to meet the community’s food insecurity needs by providing nutritious groceries and prepared meals to people in need. The organization believes that working together as one improves overall access to healthy food in a way that ensures that kindness, dignity, and hope are byproducts of its services.
For more information, please visit Loaves & Fishes/Friendship Trays.
This position will report directly to the Chief Development Officer. Direct reports include the Marketing Coordinator and Community Engagement Coordinator.
The Marketing and Events Director (M&ED) is responsible for planning, development, and implementation of all Loaves & Fishes/Friendship Trays marketing strategies, communications, and public relations activities, both external and internal, to consistently articulate the organization’s mission and brand. This individual will also take the lead in events planning and execution, increasing revenue and growing relationships with current and prospective constituents.
The M&ED and team direct efforts to tie all marketing activity back to organizational goals and are responsible for overseeing volunteer recruitment, food drives, and in-kind donations. A member of the senior leadership team, this individual will work closely with the Board, CEO, and senior staff in the strategic planning and execution of strategic goals for the organization.
Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Develop, implement, and maintain comprehensive strategic marketing strategies and communications plans to advance Loaves & Fishes/Friendship Trays’ brand identity; work with key stakeholders as appropriate.
- Manage and grow all special/third-party events; cultivate, secure, and retain event sponsorships with a focus on growing corporate support and relationships.
- Manage and grow all public relations opportunities.
- Be available and responsive to media during and after regular business hours.
- Independently write and produce strong content that clearly communicates a variety of messages to educate and influence targeted key stakeholder audiences.
- Build and manage relationships with local media contacts and influencers to increase awareness of Loaves & Fishes/Friendship Trays and expand its media presence; prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting materials as needed.
- Manage speaking opportunities and assign appropriate board, staff, or volunteers as required.
- Supervise the Marketing Coordinator to consistently articulate and enforce brand standards, ensure brand compliance on all marketing materials and that all marketing activity ties back to organizational goals, and ensure they are creating strategy and engaging in digital content through social media and email.
- Supervise the Community Engagement Coordinator’s volunteer and food drive activities; work with the coordinator to develop and implement growth strategies for volunteer placement, in-kind food, and financial donations through food drives.
- Work in collaboration with the board marketing committee, taking the lead to set priorities and engage the committee and volunteers to implement and advance communication and event goals.
- Engage in continuous learning to increase skills and knowledge to fulfill the Loaves & Fishes/Friendship Trays’ mission and to stay informed of internal and external trends impacting the organization.
- Adhere to the Association of Fundraising Professionals Code of Ethics and Donor Bill of Rights.
- Represent the association as required by the CEO.
- Participate in and support Loaves & Fishes/Friendship Trays’ fundraising efforts.
- At least five years of professional experience in marketing and public relations.
- Experience managing web, social, and print media and adapting information to a variety of target audiences.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with standard marketing and graphic design software.
- Creative and knowledgeable on how new media/marketing technologies can be utilized.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills; demonstrated success with writing and editing across a variety of print and online communications.
- High energy with a positive, “can-do” attitude; flexible and team-oriented with exemplary attention to detail; high degree of initiative and ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
- Ability to work with sensitivity and without discrimination towards people of diverse cultures, races/ethnicities, socioeconomic positions, ages, religions, genders, physical/mental challenges/disabilities, and sexual orientations.
- A passion for the mission of Loaves & Fishes/Friendship Trays.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity, and competitive benefits package.