A small but highly profitable, privately held distribution company based in Westchester County, NY. This was a very successful family-run company recently acquired by a private investment firm. While the company contemplates strong growth over the next 5-10 years, it will maintain its informal, “family-owned” culture.
The Controller reports directly to the President.
The Controller will be responsible for all aspects of the accounting and financial functions of the business. The position demands a self-starter, someone who will work in concert with the management team but be expected to thrive independently.
Specific duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Own month end close and monthly statement/report preparation.
- Analyze and interpret financial results to drive company performance and identify potential risks and recommend solutions, both independently and with others in the organization.
- Annual budget development, including developing timeline, working with department leads for their portion of budget and consolidating into one package.
- Documenting and standardizing the accounting procedures.
- Manage banking relationships, including account management, bank reporting requirements, and ad hoc bank requests.
- Oversee cash/treasury management, including cash flow forecasting.
- Manage annual audit process and quarterly and annual state and federal taxes preparation.
- Maintain accounting system and maintain and, if necessary, create accounting standards/policies.
- Eventually take over control of all HR functions including payroll and benefits management and administration.
- Inventory controls and management procedures.
- Contribute meaningfully to the broader management team and the company’s strategic direction and goals.
- Minimum of 5+ years of relevant experience as a controller in an inventory environment, leading the accounting and finance department.
- CPA certification and degree in accounting a strong preference.
- A motivated self-starter with proven problem solving and time management skills.
- Demonstrated verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Industry experience working with value-added distribution or manufacturing businesses that carry substantial inventory is strongly preferred.
- Experience interfacing with broader organization, including supply chain, production, sales and marketing, customers, suppliers, third party service providers, etc. is also a plus.
- Experience with annual financial third-party audits.
- References to support trust and high integrity.
- Must enjoy working autonomously and within a dynamic team environment.
- Demonstrated track record of “rolling up sleeves” and working both strategically and tactically.
- Affable, enjoyable to work with.
- Comfortable working in an informal, “family owned company” culture.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. While the preference is to recruit a local candidate, the company is open to providing relocation assistance for the right candidate.