Based in the Southeast, the company is an independently owned and operated service provider to the trucking industry, including commercial tires and retreads, mechanical services, as well as fleet management technologies to assist customers in managing fleets more efficiently. Employing over 1,000 service professionals, the company currently operates over 80 locations throughout the South and Midwest that serve more than 35 states, as well as several retread facilities, and multiple distribution centers that provide delivery capability to over 75% of the continental US. Recognized as an industry leader, the company expertly provides fleets and owner-operators the product offerings and responsive service that exceeds expectations, with an ongoing operating principle that promises customers to go the distance in order to serve their needs.
The Commercial Mechanical Talent Manager will report directly to the Director of Professional Development.
The Commercial Mechanical Talent Manager is responsible for professional development from the date of hire through the life cycle of the employee for Heavy Duty Truck Technicians. This individual also assists managers and the Vice President of Mechanical Services with recruitment and interviewing new mechanics.
Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Develop, teach, and manage new hire training for all new Commercial Heavy Duty Truck Technicians; training will ensure all new mechanics perform the company’s 10 Core Competencies.
- Facilitate job standards training during new associate orientation.
- Develop and maintain all Commercial Mechanical Services curriculum including management of all training vendor contracts for Mechanical Services including training curriculum for tool and equipment, ongoing continuing education, the company’s 10 Core Competencies, and mobile mechanical services.
- Execute and manage all aspects of the Diesel Tech Academy; coordinate with Mechanical VP the frequency and number of new mechanics hired and trained during each Academy.
- Assist in screening and interviewing of Mechanical Technician candidates for both the Diesel Tech Academy and open positions in mechanical branch locations.
- Develop relationships with sources of recruitment for Heavy Duty Truck Technicians including recruiting companies, Diesel Tech training schools, and community colleges in the company’s geographical locations.
- Develop and oversee a Mechanical Services Mentorship Program at each Mechanical location; program will include mentorship training based on the “One Minute Mentor” by Ken Blanchard; oversee ongoing mentoring of all new Heavy Duty Truck Technicians during the initial 90 days of employment; ensure proficiency in the 10 Core Competencies for each new technician within the first 90 days of employment.
- Oversee, manage, and maintain Learning Management and Performance Management software for all Heavy Duty Truck Technicians.
- Provide ongoing education toward ASE certification including online training and onsite mentorships that lead to certification.
- Responsible for all calendar planning, scheduling, and promotion of all Mechanical Training.
- Develop and oversee scheduling, execution, and quality monitoring for all annual Mechanical Training; calendar should include Diesel Tech Academy, orientation training, ongoing quarterly continuing education training, and online training offerings.
- Identify all resources needed for Mechanical Training program and establish an annual budget for expenses and resources.
- Establish, with input from the VP of Mechanical Services and the Director of Professional Development, monthly training objectives and provide written accountability through Performance Management software to Director of Professional Development.
- Provide requested individual professional coaching and needed trainings to Heavy Duty Truck Technicians placed on Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) by their manager; these engagements are limited to three to six months and must include clear goals.
- Collaborate with all Commercial and Corporate staff to develop and implement Quality Audits for all Mechanical locations and use to develop continuing education planning.
- Follow all safety rules, wear proper PPE, and demonstrate a safety-conscious mindset.
- Adhere to all policies, procedures, and values of the company.
- At least five to seven years’ experience within the industry or a related management position.
- Two years’ experience in providing and developing corporate training programs preferred.
- Responsibility and experience in managing P&L preferred.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, as well as close attention to detail.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and the ability to learn and operate other software (AS400, SAP, BTN, etc.).
- Superior customer service and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Reliable and dependable with self-initiative.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and independently, with minimal supervision.
- Ability to learn quickly and take on new responsibilities.
- Ability to interact with all levels within the organization and client base.
- Ability to understand and meet month-end, quarter-end, and year-end deadlines.
- Understanding of industry standards and practices in accomplishing these standards.
- Analytical skills, including research and ability to analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to train and coach in administrative practices.
- Demonstrated competencies with 10 Core Competencies in Mechanical Services and demonstrated ability to teach, train, and mentor/coach others in these mechanical competencies.
- Commercial TIA certification required after six months of employment.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred.
- Certification in Professional Coaching required by end of first year of employment.
- Valid Class C driver’s license or state(s) equivalent and must be insurable to drive by company standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or other related field, or equivalent work experience.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity, and competitive benefits package.