Client is a privately held food retailing company operating locations in the southern half of the US. The company is building an exceptional professional leadership team and is moving into double digit growth through acquisition, market consolidation, and new locations.
The CFO reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer. The CFO also has direct interface with the Board of Directors. Reporting to the CFO is a Controller who manages the accounting staff. The CFO also has significant interaction with the accounting staff.
The CFO is responsible for leading all finance and accounting functions in addition to providing strategic analysis and counsel to the entire organization. Specific duties include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Direct the fiscal operations of the company, in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and using retail accounting software.
- Participate in the development of the company’s plans and programs as a strategic partner; provide financial leadership, business, and corporate tax strategies; and input (including proformas) on decisions affecting the organization, i.e. evaluation of any potential alliances or acquisitions.
- Deliver timely and accurate analysis of budgets, monthly P&L statements for all locations and the company as a whole, and financial trends in order to assist the CEO and COO in performing their responsibilities.
- Provide leadership to enhance FP&A reporting (sales, margins, COGS), pricing processes and evaluation, and accuracy in forecasting.
- Manage executive and owners’ payroll through HRIS system.
- Act as primary contact for company’s banking relationships and liaise with auditing firm and attorneys as appropriate.
- Produce retail metric reports to assist the COO in improving operations.
- Interact with location directors on P&L accountability.
- Lead weekly staff meeting reporting previous week’s finances.
- Substantial leadership experience in broad finance, accounting, business planning, and controllership functions, preferably in a retail or multi-unit environment; tax experience desirable.
- Integrity and high ethical standards which are consistent with those of the Board, owners, and executive team.
- Energetic, forward-thinking, and creative.
- Strength in using reporting systems to ensure that useful, timely, and accurate data is available for business decisions.
- Effective leader and manager possessing strong communication and listening skills and the ability to effectively interact with employees at all levels of the company as well as external stakeholders and vendors.
- Strategic visionary with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus.
- Well-organized and self-directed; team player.
- Good educator; trustworthy; willing to share information and serve as a mentor.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business; advanced degree or CPA is a plus.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity, excellent benefits, and relocation package.