Located in the Dilworth neighborhood on the edge of uptown Charlotte, NC, Covenant Presbyterian Church responds to the spiritual needs of people from many walks of life. A member of the Presbyterian Church (USA) denomination, Covenant is a forward-thinking, dynamic Christian community with a culture of embracing innovation as they live out their mission to gladly invite all people into a transformational experience of faith; boldly proclaim the gospel; bravely work toward a whole and just world; and passionately nurture discipleship.
The church offers traditional and contemporary Sunday worship services, engaging educational programs for adults, young adults, youth, and children, a Mission & Outreach ministry, as well as a vibrant congregational life, supporting one another in times of challenge and celebration, with groups to join and many volunteer opportunities. The church campus is home to three schools, a recreation center, and a Fellowship Hall that hosts visiting groups.
For more information, please visit www.covenantpresby.org.
This position will report directly to the Senior Minister. Direct reports include the Director of Operations, Accounting Manager, Communications Director, and Child Development Center Director. The Business Administrator will also be the staff liaison with the Administration Ministry, Personnel Committee, Stewardship, Finance Committee, Planning and Evaluation Board, and Budget Advisory Committee.
The individual who occupies this position will be responsible for the coordination of the church’s general operations, with particular emphasis on the human resources functions of the church. Responsibility also includes oversight of financial affairs, operations, and administrative matters to support the church’s programming and mission as set forth by the ordained staff, session, and lay leadership of the church.
Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to, three key areas:
- General oversight of church staff; specific oversight of five ministry managers.
- Responsible for managing church benefits package, including but not limited to, retirement plan, health insurance plans, and paid time off.
- Work with managers and clergy in addressing personnel issues within the various ministries of the church.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a strategic staff plan.
- Work with the Senior Minister in his/her supervision of associate clergy.
- Develop a close, ongoing relationship with the Personnel Committee.
- Oversee the evaluation process for all church staff to ensure timely and high-quality performance levels.
- Maintain the Employee Handbook and ensure consistent application of employment policies.
- Assist ordained and program staff through execution of the business operations of the church.
- Oversee the overall communications strategy and ensure appropriate execution.
- Oversee risk management, including full compliance with CPC Youth and Child Protection Policies.
- Oversee and evaluate the operations of the church, including property, recreation, food service, and technology.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations with regard to human resources, administrative, and financial operations/functions.
- Other reasonable church business-related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Administer the operating budget and the endowment; facilitate the preparation of the annual budget; work with the Accounting Manager to ensure sound financial records systems, direct the accounting of the receipt and expenditure of all church funds, and act as purchasing agent for the church.
- Provide support to the Stewardship Committee during the annual stewardship campaign.
- Support ongoing efforts to promote planned giving among church members.
- Prepare for and facilitate annual audit with the Accounting Manager.
- Financial oversight and budgeting for the Child Development Center.
- Practicing, committed Christian.
- Understanding of and commitment to Christian stewardship.
- Four-year bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in managing staff.
- Demonstrated experience in human resource functions, including working knowledge of applicable employment laws.
- Excellent oral and written communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- PC skills and a working knowledge of/experience with MS Office suite of products.
- Experience in budgeting and managerial accounting.
- Flexibility in work hours to accommodate committee meetings that frequently occur outside of normal business hours (Monday through Friday).
- Familiarity with church information systems is desired.
- Facilities management experience desired.
- Experience working with volunteers is a plus.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary and competitive benefits package.