In 1963, a group of local physicians and businessmen in Newport News, VA recognized a growing need for convalescent facilities in their community. Their answer to that need was Virginia Health Services, Inc. (VHS), which today is a thriving, growing, privately owned pass-through entity headquartered in Newport News.
Since VHS’s inception, the company has grown from operating one 50 bed facility into a multifaceted healthcare company providing a continuum of care that blends seamlessly from one stage of need to the next. Today, VHS has approximately 1,200 employees and operates 10 facilities that offer:
- Independent Retirement Community: The Arbors at Port Warwick (Newport News)
- Assisted Living Communities: The Huntington at The Newport (Newport News); The Hamilton at York (Yorktown)
- Home Care: Virginia Health Home Care (Newport News)
- Hospice Care: Virginia Health Hospice
- Convalescent, Skilled Nursing, & Rehabilitation Care: Coliseum (Hampton); James River (Newport News); Lancashire (Kilmarnock); Northampton (Hampton); The Newport (Newport News); Walter Reed (Gloucester); York (Yorktown)
- Rehabilitation: Virginia Health Rehab
- Medical Equipment Sales: Virginia Health Medical Sales
- Pharmacy: Virginia Pharmaceutical Services
In addition, VHS has plans to build and open a new facility in Williamsburg, VA, likely within the next few years.
Through these facilities and community-based services, VHS serves residents from the Peninsula, Middle Peninsula, and Northern Neck. The company takes “great pride in the fact that Virginia Health Services, Inc. is locally owned and operated. We believe that this enables us to respond directly to the needs of our own community. You and your loved ones are people we know, and that makes a difference. We deliver the type of care that we want for ourselves, our family, and neighbors.”
For more information please visit www.vahs.com.
The Vice President, Strategy and Business Development (VP) reports directly to the President and CEO of VHS. The VP will join, and work closely with, a senior leadership team that includes the following individuals: CFO; Senior Vice President – Operations; Senior Vice President (rehab, homecare, and hospice divisions); Vice President of Clinical Affairs; Controller; and Vice President of Nursing. Not only will the VP have her/his primary interaction with the CEO, it is anticipated that she/he will also have significant interaction with all VHS business unit owners and the Board Chair.
The Vice President, Strategy and Business Development will develop internal and external business opportunities, along with building external relationships with organizations complementary to VHS. This individual will drive organizational growth and excellence through business plans and project plan execution, from conception to final delivery.
Other specific responsibilities include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Acquire, review, and analyze data from multiple sources (public, private, internal, industry).
- Summarize data into actionable opportunities for review by senior leadership and the Board of Directors.
- Develop business plans, proformas, and project plans to support the execution of approved, actionable opportunities.
- Support all aspects of VHS existing services (nursing homes, assisted living, independent living, home care, hospice, rehabilitation services, pharmacy) in analyzing data and processes to develop growth and performance improvement plans.
- Develop relationships with local public policy officials to represent VHS in any new ventures requiring public health approval, or ventures supporting positive outcomes within public programs.
- Create and submit Certificate of Public Need (COPN) documents as required by Virginia and federal regulations.
- Assess the market for acquisition opportunities in key growth areas.
- Develop initial budgets and proformas, in conjunction with finance, for all growth and improvement opportunities.
- Incorporate industry standards and metrics when determining opportunities and conducting needs analysis.
- Support all aspects of VHS with regards to new business ventures, partnerships, and growth in new sectors.
- Work collaboratively with VHS business unit owners to understand the market, trends, and opportunities.
- Integrity above reproach; high ethics; respect for confidentiality; forthright and direct, but with diplomacy.
- Strong financial acumen; understanding of the for-profit environment and implications of book and tax income.
- Strong analytical skills; ability to analyze large volumes of data and consequently reach conclusions/advise on decisions that lead to actions on strategic and/or growth opportunities.
- Experience with the development of business plans, proformas, and project plans.
- Experience with project planning and execution/management of projects.
- Experience in/knowledge of the healthcare industry is preferred but not essential.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; effective communicator.
- Self-motivated; strong desire to achieve results.
- Ability to work in a complex environment; adaptable and flexible; willingness to take appropriate risk(s).
- Master’s degree strongly preferred; CPA or CFA preferred; if bachelor’s degree qualified, progression to master’s degree within three years strongly preferred.
- Mastery of appropriate software packages (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.) and knowledge of additional, applicable database applications.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary, variable compensation opportunity, competitive benefits package, and relocation assistance.
Virginia Health Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran, or disability status.