Leading process equipment and controls company specializing in the continuous feeding and weighing of bulk solids. The company produces engineered products for various segments of the food, chemicals, plastics, building materials, and energy markets. Highly stable and profitable, the company has been in business for over 70 years and has ambitious growth objectives (for the realization of which this key leadership role is critical).
This position will report directly to the President and General Manager.
The Vice President – Engineering and Development will be responsible for overseeing three functions within the company: the Project Engineering team, the Electronics/Instrumentation development team, and the IT function. In addition, he/she will be asked to build and staff a new product development team. Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Determination of the company’s technical roadmap.
- In cooperation with the President and others, evaluate possible extensions of the core business as well as possible new platforms.
- Work closely with the VP of Manufacturing to determine manufacturing strategy, outsourcing options, and optimizing internal manufacturing procedures using Lean manufacturing tools and concepts.
- Play a key role, along with the VP of Sales, in putting forth plans, specifications, and timetables for new product developments of both mechanical and electronic types.
- Manage various technical disciplines, including machinery design, load cell and scale development and application, instrumentation and control development and application, software development, and bulk materials handling (powders, granules, flakes, aggregate, etc.).
- Effectively bridge the communication gap and coordinate activities between professionals of various technical backgrounds, including electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, electronic hardware developers, and software developers.
- Orchestrate consensus or dictate solutions among a diverse group of technical personnel (including at times sales engineers or service engineers) in resolving particularly sticky field problems or proposing (to the sales staff) the optimal equipment and controls offering to a complex bid request.
- Ensure the technical integrity of the company’s products and systems and that the company’s technical resources are managed in a prudent manner that adequately supports long-term product goals. This includes final say as to whether or not a proposed non-standardized “engineered solution” to a customer’s inquiry should be quoted.
- Preferably a BSME degree with a strong background in process controls or possibly a BSEE degree with proven ability in machine design and mechanics.
- A Master’s degree in mechanical or electrical engineering is a plus.
- Experience as top engineering leader for a small company or division (~$30 million in sales, 160 employees) that manufacturers electronically controlled (automated) mechanical equipment which incorporates (mechanical) conveying apparatus, AC/DC motor drives, mechanical/pneumatic actuators/positioners, various (electronic) sensors such as limit switches, load cells, and tachometers, and microprocessor or computer -based instrumentation and controls operating in a regulating (closed-loop) control mode. Ideally, at least five years of experience in a technical leadership role.
- A strong background in both electronic controls and machine design, with a good theoretical understanding of the fundamental “mechanical” and “electronic controls” concepts that underlie the company’s unique products and systems.
- Familiarity with the use of PLCs (Programmable Logic Controllers), and in-plant communications networks.
- Early career experience as a “hands-on” design or development engineer on automation equipment comprised of motor driven mechanical machinery, measurement sensors, real-time control systems, including means for connectivity of the equipment to plant wide information and control systems.
- A track record of bringing successful automation equipment to market; evidence of technical creativity, such as patents, would be a strong plus.
- A plus if the individual has written/presented technical papers to trade or technical organizations, and/or holds membership in professional engineering societies like IEEE or ISA.
- Outstanding communicator with the ability to express oneself well to both laymen and peers.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including being graceful under pressure, a team player, charismatic/able to motivate, personal integrity/willingness to admit mistakes and assume responsibility, unusually bright, appropriately aggressive, non-bureaucratic, and highly driven by success.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary, a variable compensation component tied to the achievement of position-specific objectives, and participation in the executive bonus pool tied to the profitability and financial performance of the business. In addition, the company offers a competitive benefit package including a 401K with company match bonus opportunity.