A leading national retailer that offers an assortment of merchandise ranging from household cleaners to name brand foods, beauty and health aids, toys, apparel, and more.
This position will report directly to the Senior Vice President of Merchandising and lead an organization of buying professionals.
- The Vice President of Merchandising – Grocery is responsible for planning and implementing merchandising activities for the company’s grocery product lines in order to attain revenue and profit objectives.
- Establishes long-range and short-range business strategies, directs the purchase, price, and mix of merchandise, and researches new product and business growth opportunities.
- Plays a key role in the development of marketing and promotional strategies.
- Partners directly with Planning, Allocations, and Replenishment to ensure that in-stock, inventory productivity, and assortment productivity business goals are achieved.
- Works closely with strategy, promotional planning, and merchandise operations to significantly improve the profitability and maximize shareholder value.
Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Drive the Strategy Merchandising Planning (SMP) Process for area of responsibility.
- Directs assortment selection process; reviews assortments for balance of brands, key items, core items, and adherence to strategic and financial objectives.
- Identifies growth opportunities and exit strategies based on business financials, consumer and industry trends, customer research and market penetration strategies, in collaboration with category management and strategy groups.
- Directs successful implementation of merchandising strategies in order to attain revenue, gross profit, and gross margin objectives.
- Partners with Planning to develop fiscal plans, and manage the OTB process.
- Collaborates with supply chain, store operations, merchandise operations, global sourcing, sales promotion, and other support areas where appropriate to develop, communicate, and execute business strategies, and merchandising plans.
- Keeps abreast of important consumer and industry trends (technological, social, economic, demographics) that impact the business or organization.
- Cultivates and sustains an active network of working relationships with diverse groups/individuals both internally and within the vendor community.
- Actively directs the procurement of goods (if applicable) and integrates key marketing, import, finance, store operations, and supply chain resources into one business strategy.
- Sets, communicates, and adheres to high performance standards; takes decisive action with under-performers and continually recognizes and rewards superior performance.
- Directly accountable for the business P&L and manages all controllable expenses.
- Directs uniform merchandising processes, metrics, roles, and responsibilities with performance-based accountabilities and tracking.
- Executes needed approvals for the team.
- Reviews and approves promotional plans.
- Oversees and approves assortment reviews and faster meetings.
- Coaches and develops Divisional Merchandise Managers and Buyers, ensuring growth and readiness for next level position.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; or four years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 8-10 years related merchandising experience; 10-12 years with a mix of buying, planning, allocations, and store operations responsibilities.
- Strong general management experience; proven track record of owning P&Ls, delivering results, and accomplishing major assignments.
- Strong understanding the complex elements of the merchandising and operational functions at store level; broad understanding of supply chain management and marketing functions.
- Understands consumer value proposition and competitive differentiation.
- Prior management experience of exempt and non-exempt associates.
- Strong retail financial and analytical experience.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity, and competitive benefits package.