A managed care organization.
The Vice President, Government Affairs will report to the General Counsel and oversee Legislative Affairs and Regulatory Affairs.
The Vice President, Government Affairs, along with the Legislative Affairs and Regulatory Affairs teams, will collaboratively produce work to support and strengthen the company’s mission and manage relationships with key constituents to influence policy and drive the government relations strategy across multiple regulatory and legislative bodies.
As an executive leader, the Vice President will identify and oversee the development and execution of strategies that position the company, its leadership, and business favorably. To do this, this position is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with regulatory and legislative bodies to influence policy and policy changes and for ensuring policy positions are clearly communicated internally and to other external constituents and leaders. The Vice President is responsible for developing and implementing government relations strategies and policies to promote and protect the organization’s interests before state government and all applicable regulatory bodies. This leader also oversees the development of clear, concise public policies and messaging on issues that affect the company, its members, provider network, and stakeholders. As such, the ideal candidate has proven experience leading and influencing health policy at the federal, state, and local levels, and interacting with political leaders and community stakeholders at an executive level.
Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Advise senior management on all legislative and regulatory changes that may impact the company and its mission.
- In coordination with senior management, set legislative priorities and develop policies.
- Maintain industry knowledge regarding market trends and issues (healthcare, managed care, Medicaid, etc.) to conduct relevant research, analysis, and summation of data for reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Analyze and review state legislative and regulatory proposals and recommend and prepare appropriate positions on behalf of the organization (including testimony before legislative and regulatory bodies).
- Direct all policy influence activities, including in-house leaders and outside consultants, to ensure priorities are aligned and activities support the policy objectives of the organization.
- Set the overarching leadership strategy for developing and maintaining relationships with federal, state, and locally elected and government officials, key government agencies, associations, and key community organizations as defined by the company and executed cross-functionally through the appropriate channels.
- Collaborate with the Chief Communications Officer and Vice President of Community Outreach and Engagement to align advocacy operations with community relations engagements to deliver policy victories at the state level, enhance the company’s reputation at the community level, and support organizational strategy.
- Represent senior leadership in key discussions and meetings with regulatory and legislative bodies, local boards, and other key constituencies as defined by the company.
- Oversee and model the impact of potential legislative / regulatory changes to support internal strategic decisions.
- Identify key organizational needs resulting from potential policy changes and collaborate with cross-functional teams to address them.
- Direct the strategy and position on local government policy issues and ensure alignment with senior leadership throughout the organization for oversight and implementation of established policies.
- Provide policy-focused oversight and support to inform the company’s local community relations activities, including interactions with local leaders, local healthcare organizations, and nonprofit organizations.
- Ensure local community interests are represented in overall government relations strategy and organization’s position with key legislative and regulatory bodies.
- Work cross-functionally to ensure the strategy for organizational giving and community reinvestment is aligned to the policy priorities and goals of the organization.
- Design, implement, and oversee data-driven strategies to monitor and measure changes in opinion among key constituencies; utilize results from these strategies to proactively define plans to improve where needed.
- Recruit, develop, and retain government relations staff and key external partners.
- Oversee the development of all government relations deliverables and maintain an operating dashboard, inclusive of established benchmarks and metrics to be used for internal and external reporting purposes.
- 15 years of increasing healthcare government relations experience, including extensive experience working with key governmental bodies and stakeholders, broad knowledge of government programs and the managed care industry, and proven experience leading and managing these efforts in the healthcare industry.
- Previous experience in a health policy, government post, lobbying, government relations, regulatory policy, healthcare consulting, or managed healthcare role.
- Previous executive-level leadership experience.
- Demonstrated track record of developing strategic plans and successfully executing and influencing outcomes.
- At least 10 years of experience managing a staff of direct reports and external partners, including hiring, training, and staff development.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and influence others.
- Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of the organization, as well as to outside stakeholders both verbally, and in writing.
- Strong understanding of the North Carolina General Assembly, or legislative bodies in similar states, state agencies (i.e. Medicaid and NCDHHS), as well as other government entities, with thorough working knowledge of state and federal legislative and executive processes.
- Strong understanding of the managed care industry; experience with Medicaid Managed Care, preferred; advanced proficiency with Healthcare, Managed Care Organizations, Medicaid, or Managed Behavioral Healthcare.
- Ability to analyze and interpret legislation, statutes, administrative regulations, agency decisions, and other policies; understand the implications to the organization, and develop, implement, and manage appropriate internal strategies, policies, and programs to ensure compliance.
- Superior analytical and critical thinking skills, excellent negotiation skills, a strong work ethic, good judgment, and an ability to maintain total confidentiality and compliance.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, as well as ensure direct reports are doing the same.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in collaborative, strategic, and analytical thinking.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to take a stand.
- Proven ability to manage large issues in a fact-based, professional manner.
- Displays a willingness to make timely decisions; exhibits sound, accurate, and independent judgment.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity, and competitive benefits package.