Established in 1977, Mecklenburg Aquatic Club (SwimMAC Carolina) is a nonprofit swim club that offers programs for people of all ages and skill levels. Dedicated to its mission of empowering young people to be champions in life through excellence in swimming, the organization has grown from a small competitive team to one of the nation’s premier swim institutions, achieving a Gold Medal Club ranking in the USA Swimming Club Excellence Program. The organization is poised for significant growth across the region, expanding opportunities to further its core mission.
With two locations across the greater Charlotte area, SwimMAC Carolina serves over 2,000 people annually through programs such as learn-to-swim for beginners, competitive age group teams, and adult Masters groups. In addition, the organization offers aquatics gear and other merchandise through its Carolina Swim Shop retail locations and Ecommerce site. SwimMAC Carolina employs more than 20 full-time employees plus a team of highly skilled part-time coaches.
For more information please visit swimmaccarolina.org.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and leads a team of administrative personnel and business unit managers.
The Executive Director will work closely with the Chairman, Finance Committee, and Board of Directors to carry out the policies, procedures, and programs established by the Board.
Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Collaborate with the Board to develop and refine strategic vision, goals, and plans; serve as an advisor and consensus builder in the development and implementation of an effective program of activities.
- Cultivate a sound working relationship with the Head Coach in the following key areas: partnerships, collaboration, communication, and mutually agreed upon goals and objectives that benefit SwimMAC.
- Develop, define, communicate, and execute growth strategies in partnership with the coaches, aquatic staff, program directors, retail staff, key personnel, and Board.
- Oversee the operations, financials, and planning efforts; collaborate with staff to ensure aquatics, store, and office facilities are properly maintained and managed.
- Develop and adhere to an annual operating budget in partnership with the Finance Committee, staff, and Board; meet regularly with leaders to review and present financials; negotiate, in partnership with the Finance Committee, new and renewal contracts for Board approval.
- Develop, in partnership with staff and the Board, a fundraising plan to fund identified strategic investments; manage relationships with strategic donors and vendors.
- Develop and oversee a process for supervision of all SwimMAC staff and personnel; create a performance evaluation model and insure that reviews are conducted regularly at all levels; develop a process, in partnership with head coaches, for recruiting and retaining new staff; create onboarding orientation process for new hires.
- Develop a communication program to better connect with all stakeholders; communicate the strategic vision to relevant stakeholders in and outside the organization.
- Serve as a positive and professional brand ambassador for SwimMAC; seek to enhance SwimMAC’s presence in the local community and the national swimming community; develop and engage in community programs that align with SwimMAC’s strategic mission.
- Collaborate with the Board to develop, distribute, and analyze annual member survey; develop and present annual club review to the Board.
- At least 10 years’ management experience including organizational management, growth and leading high-performance teams.
- Experience working closely with a Board of Directors, ability to cultivate existing and new Board relationships.
- Community collaborator; experience cultivating community partnerships to grow a program and serve a broader audience.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong business acumen; demonstrated success in leading the fiscal and administrative aspects of an organization.
- Demonstrated track record in fund development including individual, corporate, and foundation giving preferred.
- An appreciation for, and general understanding of, the mission of the organization.
- A passion for healthy lifestyles and wellness is preferred.
- College degree preferred.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity, and benefits package.