Coastal Carolina University is a public comprehensive liberal arts institution located in Conway, South Carolina, just nine miles from the Atlantic coastal resort city of Myrtle Beach. Coastal Carolina University enrolls over 10,000 students from 45 states and 58 nations. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the baccalaureate and selective master’s degrees of national and/or regional significance in the arts and sciences, business, humanities, education, and health and human services, a specialist degree in educational leadership, and PhD degrees in marine science and education.
For more information, please visit www.coastal.edu.
This position will report directly to the President.
The Provost / Vice President for Academic Affairs provides executive-level leadership and strategic vision for the academic mission of the University. As the chief academic officer of the University, the Provost/VPAA maintains operating authority over the academic budget of the University, often in collaboration with other executive and senior leaders. In addition to the academic colleges, the Provost supervises the Coastal Student Success Center, Enrollment Management, Institutional Research and Assessment, Global Engagement, Registrar’s Office, Research, University Advising, and University Libraries. The Provost serves on both the President’s Cabinet and Executive Council.
- A demonstrated record of teaching, scholarly, and creative accomplishments that will support appointment at an advanced rank with tenure.
- An accomplished record with progressive academic administrative experience working with diverse departments.
- Demonstrated success in planning, leading, and managing projects, groups, or complex organizations, including a record of bringing ideas and visions to fruition, working with and supervising faculty and staff, working effectively with colleagues across colleges and other senior university leadership, and making decisive, difficult decisions when necessary.
- Demonstrated success in developing and managing significant and complex budgets and financial projections.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in a shared governance environment.
- Demonstrated success in fostering scholarship and research within a higher education environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of issues related to student success, strategic enrollment management, academic operations, and academic advising.
- Successful experience leading and executing strategic planning; substantive and decisive evaluation of academic programs, learning outcomes, assessment methodologies, and accreditation standards; developing new and innovative academic programs.
- Demonstrated experience with faculty hiring, retention, evaluation and promotion, and tenure in a higher education environment.
- A record of serving as a highly motivated approachable leader and team player who functions effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- An adaptive and innovative leader with the ability to create annual academic goals for the institution and integrate those into the operational plans for departments and to bring about data-driven results.
- Demonstrated change management skills and experience.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills and a transparent approach to leadership—the ability to work effectively with multiple constituencies, including faculty, staff, students, Trustees, alumni, donors, and community partners.
- A champion of academic rigor who will foster an environment that spurs innovative thinking around curricular and co-curricular development and educational outcomes.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; limited overnight travel for professional development and University advancement.
- A doctorate or other terminal degree from an accredited institution.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary and competitive benefits package.
NOMINATIONS / APPLICATIONS:
Nominations should include the nominee’s full name, position, institution/organization, and email address. Applications should consist of the following documents, to be submitted electronically in .pdf format: 1) a detailed letter of interest addressing the leadership agenda and qualifications as outlined in this profile; 2) a full resume/curriculum vitae with relevant administrative responsibilities and accomplishments; and 3) a list of five professional references, including names, phone numbers, and email addresses, noting the candidate’s relationship for each reference. References will not be contacted until later in the search process and only with the candidate’s permission.
Coastal Carolina University is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, or disability in admissions, employment, and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
Coastal Carolina University is an EO/AA employer.