Reports to Director of Football Administration
The Head of Football Research will direct a small team in analyzing data and providing insights on all aspects of football operations, including game preparation, in-game decision-making, player evaluation, athlete performance & health, and player contracts. The Head of Football Research will work on projects to utilize data from multiple sources to build and develop statistical models to analyze the game of football, identify areas of improvement within football operations, and explore methods and strategies for achieving such improvements. This individual will also be responsible for communication of analytical results to the appropriate parties in football operations (e.g. via reports, presentations, etc.) and will work closely with the Panthers’ IT department and development team to integrate these results into existing frameworks.
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, data analytics, computer science, engineering, or related fields. Other academic degrees/disciplines will be considered if accompanied by substantial experience, and a demonstrated proficiency, in the skills outlined elsewhere in this description.
- Five years of professional and/or teaching experience in mathematics, statistics, data analytics, computer science, engineering, or related fields.
- Expertise with computational programming languages commonly used for data analysis (e.g. Python, R, etc.).
- Understanding of, and experience using, modern statistical models/concepts (e.g. linear models, prediction, time series analysis, spatio-temporal data analysis, non-parametric models, machine learning, etc.).
- Understanding of data visualization in report writing.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Team player, reliable, and dependable.
- Work well under pressure.
- Detail-oriented and able to effectively multi-task while managing time successfully.
- Flexible to work evenings and/or weekends and all Carolina Panthers and Stadium events (including events held on weekends, nights, and holidays) when necessary. Some travel may be expected.
- Pass pre-employment screens.
- Advanced degree (Master’s, Doctorate, etc.) preferred.
- Experience with cloud-computing platforms such as AWS is strongly preferred.
The Carolina Panthers are an equal opportunity at-will employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation, or national origin.