Privately held supermarket chain.
The Director of Meat will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and owners of the company. This position oversees a buying team of up to three direct reports.
The Director of Meat is a key member of the category management and purchasing team, engaged in formulating the program’s strategic direction, executing business plans, and driving effective strategies.
This role is responsible for enhancing the competitive position and profitability of the company by developing and driving performance of the meat category in line with consumer expectations of price and product mix.
Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Manage the overall performance of the category and department, including financial KPIs, team development and retention, as well as management of all category-specific vendor relationships.
- Partner closely with store management teams to ensure category-specific programs are successful and well received by customers and staff.
- Lead the development and implementation of promotions and merchandising programs for long-term success within the meat category.
- Create and maintain a culture of innovation for driving change within the marketplace and its changing dynamics, constantly challenging the status quo; monitor industry trends and consumer preferences.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with key suppliers to drive financial performance and assortment innovation.
- Maintain strong knowledge of current commodity markets and appropriate risk management practices.
- Understand the full financial workings of assigned departments and the impact of actions taken in these departments; identify and explain variances to leadership team.
- Deliver and manage annual budget plans and assist in developing forecasts based on solid performance analysis.
- Minimum 10 years in category management, procurement, and/or marketing, including five years in management; previous experience should include meat.
- Self-starter with a true passion for the meat category.
- Understanding of the retail grocery marketplace – competitors, trends, and supplier community.
- Conceptual, analytical thinker with thorough knowledge of procurement and merchandising.
- Strong communicator, both oral and written; ability to inspire confidence at all levels.
- Operates with the highest integrity; excellent judgement and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Energetic, collaborative, and proactive leadership style.
- Undergraduate degree preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: excel, word, outlook.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary and bonus opportunity.