Retail grocery chain.
This position will report directly to the Vice President of Distribution and will oversee a team of experienced operations managers across two locations.
The Director of Distribution is responsible for all warehouse and transportation operations in support of distribution to over 100 stores across the Southeast. This individual oversees the implementation of new programs and the support of existing programs and ensures compliance with all state and local regulations related to food storage, safety, hazardous chemical storage, and ammonia refrigeration programs.
This individual is responsible for continuous improvement in both operations and personnel growth within the distribution function and plays a key role in maintaining a diverse environment that is employee-friendly and supportive of corporate initiatives.
The Director of Distribution is responsible for the entire operation of perishable, grocery, and all other applicable departments, as well as the transportation department, and will maintain up to and over 700,000 square feet of warehouse and fleet operations that service company operations in a timely and cost-efficient manner.
Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Accountable for the receiving, storage, and shipping of all products and merchandise that is brought through the supply chain including, but not limited to, grocery/perishable receiving, shipping, transportation, and inventory control.
- Ability to adequately analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Ensure that product is stored and rotated properly, as well as delivered in a timely, efficient, and safe manner.
- Comply with all governmental and regulatory agencies.
- Maintain safe, clean, and efficient facilities through education, good work habits, methods, and procedures.
- Promote, enforce, and educate safety in the workplace.
- Exhibit sound and accurate judgment; support and explain reasoning for decisions, and include the appropriate people in the decision-making process.
- Communicate with stores, operations management, and distribution management.
- Communicate effectively with employees regarding issues and changes.
- Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Develop and coordinate project plans and complete them on time.
- Prepare and meet operating budgets.
- Train and educate management staff to handle details, follow up on issues and problems, and help remove obstacles.
- Understand, communicate, and help implement incentive plans, company policies, procedures, and concepts.
- Maintain and implement labor management and other efficiency programs to meet the needs of the company.
- Train, promote, and develop management staff to meet their professional development.
- Delegate work assignments, match the responsibility to the person, set expectations, and give authority to work independently.
- Inspire and motivate others to perform well, effectively influence actions, provide vision, and give appropriate recognition to others.
- Ensure all processes are developed and reviewed to meet changing needs.
- Verify that transportation routes and deliveries are efficient and meet the needs of distribution and retail stores.
- Minimum of eight to ten years of related experience in distribution center operations; experience managing perishable product categories in the retail grocery industry.
- Sound business acumen with the ability to synthesize and analyze data and financials to achieve key business objectives.
- Excellent leadership skills with an ability to motivate teams and build a diverse and high-performing culture.
- Validated change management experience with an ability to build commitment and buy-in from key stakeholders and employees.
- Strong project management skills; ability to identify, develop, lead, and execute key initiatives across various departments.
- Strong organizational skills that allow for effective multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional communication skills, written and verbal; ability to communicate effectively at all levels of an organization.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity, eligibility for long-term incentives, and a competitive benefits package.