Coastal Carolina University is a public comprehensive liberal arts institution located in Conway, South Carolina, just nine miles from the Atlantic coastal resort city of Myrtle Beach. Coastal Carolina University enrolls over 10,000 students from 45 states and 58 nations. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the baccalaureate and selective master’s degrees of national and regional significance in the arts, sciences, business, humanities, education, and health and human services, a specialist degree in educational leadership, and PhD degrees in marine science and education.
The Gupta College of Science is organized into seven academic departments: Biology; Chemistry; Computing Sciences; Marine Science; Mathematics and Statistics; Physics and Engineering Science; and Psychology. The Gupta College offers 12 undergraduate majors, and three graduate degrees. The College also houses several centers, including The Burroughs & Chapin Center for Marine and Wetland Studies, The Waccamaw Watershed Academy, and The Environmental Quality Laboratory. The Gupta College of Science is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET (computer science, information systems, and information technology degree programs) and is seeking ABET accreditation for its engineering programs.
This position will report directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Dean will oversee 182 faculty and 41 staff members.
The Dean is administratively responsible for planning, organizing, budgeting, coordinating, directing, and evaluating the instructional, research, scholarly, and service activities of the College. The Dean is also expected to take an active leadership role in recruiting and retaining faculty, staff, and students, and to represent the needs and interests of the College to the University and the greater community.
Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Exercising strategic and operational academic leadership in teaching, research, and other activities of the College with a leadership style characterized by innovation, transparency, and professional integrity that inspires cooperation, creativity, and respect among faculty, students, administrators, and staff.
- Leading faculty in regular evaluation of the curriculum and student needs; assessing the needs and viability of new programs at the undergraduate level and graduate level.
- Recruiting, managing, mentoring, developing, and retaining faculty and other personnel; encouraging and monitoring the professional development of faculty and staff; providing direction to and evaluation of the tenure process.
- Assisting in recruiting students, and with activities directed toward enrollment growth and student retention while maintaining or increasing academic standards.
- Working collaboratively with the Office of Advancement and Alumni Relations to establish, cultivate, and grow an active and engaged group of donors; supporting the development efforts of the Coastal Education Foundation.
- Providing leadership to develop and maintain modern facilities and infrastructure that supports and promotes synergistic and collaborative laboratory- and field-based natural science research within and across College units.
- Providing leadership and working with University leadership to coordinate activities that build and maintain a diverse and inclusive faculty, staff, and student population, and support equitable treatment of faculty in teaching, research, and service.
- Functioning as the spokesperson for the College; articulating the College’s positioning, value proposition, and process of maintaining relevance within a fluid job market.
- Engaging the science community to identify and develop opportunities for classroom engagement, internships, and other extracurricular opportunities for students.
- Developing external partnerships that support the budgetary/fiscal health of the College; developing a budget to be approved by the Provost; subsequently administering the budget.
- Engaging in outreach activities to maintain collegial relationships with alumni and external constituencies.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Provost.
- At least five years of progressive responsibility with achievements in administrative positions, including Department Chair, Center Director, and/or Associate Dean.
- Experience in overseeing the hiring and retention of a diverse faculty and staff, including the handling of personnel issues, faculty development, promotion, and evaluation processes.
- Experience in promoting, overseeing, and optimizing multi-dimensional dynamic research units that include laboratory, field, and experiential programs.
- Proven capability to integrate innovative experiential teaching with cutting-edge research and relevant local advisory service with related opportunities for faculty and student participation.
- Demonstrable commitment to the promotion of diversity-related initiatives for faculty, staff, and students.
- Experience in developing innovative academic programs and delivery methods that advance and support the mission of the University and College.
- Documented record of community outreach leading to successful fundraising and experience in creatively increasing external funds and new revenue streams.
- Demonstrable commitment to shared governance.
- An earned doctorate or appropriate terminal degree.
- Academic qualifications that merit appointment as a tenured full professor in an academic discipline represented within the College.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity, and competitive benefits package.
Coastal Carolina University is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, or disability in admissions, employment, and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
Coastal Carolina University is an EO/AA employer.