Goodwill has been serving individuals and families in the Southern Piedmont region of North and South Carolina for more than 55 years. Goodwill operates 26 retail stores and has more than 30 donation sites in the region. Proceeds from the sale of donated goods fund skills training and employment services for individuals facing obstacles to employment. In 2020, Goodwill assisted more than 7,570 individuals with resources and support and helped more than 1,300 people gain employment thanks to donations and purchases from the community.
For more information, visit www.goodwillsp.org
The Controller reports to the Chief Financial and Strategy Officer and serves as a member of the Corporate Leadership Team. This individual will lead a team of approximately ten, with two direct reports, the Manager, Accounting Operations and Manager, Financial Reporting.
Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Maintain adequate accounting and financial system records, ensuring accurate and timely completion of standard procedures (i.e., month-end and year-end closing, financial statement preparation and analysis, and daily accounting transactions), and consistently enhance controls and business solutions designed to mitigate financial risk.
- Analyze monthly financial results and promote clear understanding of key financial figures and costing within the organization, including leading training sessions for operations teams.
- Assist management in the development and tracking of key performance indicators (KPIs) that enable the organization to make sound and strategic business decisions.
- Work closely with leadership to identify opportunities and develop strategies, understand internal business operations, and make decisions on process development and implementation to increase efficiencies and create cost savings.
- Manage, coach, and develop the accounting staff as individuals and as a team, including career and succession planning.
- Coordinate the annual audit and ensure that the auditors have all the information they need to render an accurate judgment of the company’s financial statements.
- Ensure that the agency complies with all government, state, and other funding sources’ requirements including reporting.
- Play a key role in the development of the annual budget from both a top-down and bottom-up approach, in addition to supporting capital investment and cash planning needs.
- Working knowledge of GAAP and fund accounting.
- Solid accounting principles background.
- High ethical standards; responsible, dependable, trustworthy, and thorough.
- Exceptional organizational skills; detail-oriented and analytically driven.
- Good interpersonal skills; high level of emotional intelligence and adaptability.
- Constructive problem solver; willing to roll up sleeves without layering in overhead.
- Clear communicator and effective leader.
- Assertive and proactive with high energy level and stamina.
- Community and service driven with a commitment to Goodwill’s mission and core values.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field and at least seven years of administrative experience in management of general accounting functions or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CPA preferred.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive salary and benefits package.