Mid-Atlantic-based manufacturer of engineered products that are specified by the end users.
The Chief Technology Officer (CTO) reports directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer and is a member of the executive team. The CTO’s direct reports include the Capital Projects Manager, New Product Manager, and Head of Technology and Innovation.
The CTO collaborates closely with each member of the executive team and participates in company strategy development and implementation, and in technical organizational development and the achievement of company growth and profits. The CTO is accountable and responsible for developing and implementing the latest operational (non-IT) technologies to help drive the competitive basis of the businesses. The CTO is also responsible for guiding the manufacturing and engineering groups to enhance processes, develop engineering talent, new product development, and provide opportunities for improved quality and efficiencies. The CTO will oversee the company capital plan and management of major capital projects.
Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Strategic planning and execution of major projects to enhance profitability, productivity, and efficiencies throughout the company’s operations.
- Participate in the annual budget process.
- Manage overall capital process and capital budgets.
- Drive technology improvements and establish key metrics to track performance improvements.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Establish and maintain key relationships with key vendors, equipment, and raw material suppliers.
- Work closely with the Chief of Operations in the implementation of new capital projects.
- The Chief of Engineering will have dotted-line responsibility to the CTO.
- The New Product Development Manager will have direct responsibility to the CTO.
- Spearhead key technology developments for the company.
Environmental Health and Safety
- Provide technical and project-related solutions to assure that all safety and environ-mental permits, licenses, and procedures are adhered to and achieve compliance in all areas.
- Work closely with the Operations Leadership Team to assure that EHS activities and operations don’t conflict and that both are not hindered by each other.
- Work with Operations to improve the health and safety of existing and new equipment.
Human Resources – Work closely with the CHRO to:
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
- Mentor and develop technical employees using a supportive and collaborative approach.
- Drive the development of the technical Human Capital to support the company’s strategic goals.
- Develop the capital plan to support the overall company strategic plan.
- Work closely with the CFO to manage the capital plan, capital project approvals, and spending to match closely with the company’s ability to fund projects.
- Assure projects are implemented on time and on budget and properly handed off to Operations to assure long-term success.
- Support R&D and new product development through project engineering and the development of new processes and technologies to promote products.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering required; MBA or advanced technical degree is a plus.
- Minimum of 15 years of successful technical, new product development, and/or project management experience.
- Experience in plastic injection molding, extrusion, machining, and metal melting/bending is highly desirable.
- Ideally, early experience learning best-in-class project management and new product development practices in a larger company followed by leadership experience in a smaller company with fewer resources.
- Demonstrated success in a high-growth and transformational organization.
- Proven leadership team experience in both technical and management leadership teams.
- Proven project management of projects over $5 million.
- Self-motivated, independent, energetic performer with solid analytical, planning, communication, time management, and computer skills.
- Ability to drive cultural change.
- Strategic thinking with a bias for action.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Consistent, professional, and ethical behavior.
- Open-minded, even-keeled, objective.
- Strong ability to build relationships and work effectively with other functional leaders.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity, and competitive benefits package.