Roof Above, the new name of the merged Urban Ministry Center and Men’s Shelter of Charlotte, offers a spectrum of homeless services and housing programs. The agency is a comprehensive homeless service provider that offers a continuum of care focused on individuals experiencing homelessness in Mecklenburg County. The continuum of services covers everything from street outreach, basic services (soup kitchen, mail, showers, laundry) at a Day Services Center, three year-round shelters for men, community-based Room In The Inn shelter program, rapid rehousing, substance use program with transitional housing component, and permanent supportive housing programs. Roof Above’s services and programs reach over 1,200 individuals every day across seven campuses in Charlotte (up to 14 campuses during COVID).
For more information, please visit roofabove.org/roof-above-coming-soon-v2.
This position will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer and lead a team responsible for shelter services, day services, street outreach, scattered site and single site housing, and volunteerism.
The Chief Program Officer (CPO) is a newly created key leadership position for Roof Above. The CPO ensures that programs are following best practices and pushing for innovation, while protecting Roof Above’s reputation for providing quality services and the incredible heart of the organization.
Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Provide supervision and support for four key program leaders: Vice President of Shelter Services, who oversees two year-round, low barrier, housing-focused emergency shelters; Vice President of Engagement, who oversees street outreach, the Day Services Center, and volunteerism; Vice President of Scattered-Site Housing, who oversees around 400 units scattered throughout the community through three Permanent Supportive Housing programs, Rapid Rehousing, and Shared Housing; and Vice President of Single-Site Housing, who oversees four sites, including 120 units of permanent supportive housing, transitional housing associated with outpatient treatment, and Roof Above’s two newest permanent supportive housing sites.
- Build a team among the four key vice president positions, finding new avenues for collaboration and connection across programs to deliver more impactful outcomes for those served by Roof Above.
- Maintain a big-picture lens of programming, while working with the organization’s leadership to ensure excellence in operations.
- Serve as a critical community leader on homelessness, building partnerships, and being an active voice and support within the homeless services provider community.
- Partner with the CEO to craft the vision for future programmatic opportunities.
- Five years in a senior level nonprofit leadership role with expertise in housing and homelessness.
- Deep passion for the organization’s mission and work.
- Strong, demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to hold a high level of responsibility.
- Demonstrated change management experience.
- Believer in Housing First.
- High ethical standards; able to uphold and model Roof Above’s core values:
- Heart for the work. Roof Above employees choose this work and embrace this place; they practice radical compassion; each employee does his or her unique part to end homelessness.
- Solution-oriented. Roof Above employees ground themselves in what they know and imagine what is possible; are intentional about getting the right people involved and move towards effective action; are exhaustive in the search for solutions.
- Bring your best every day. Roof Above employees practice self-care, self-awareness, and safety; recognize what must be let go of to move forward; exercise diligence and grit.
- Value others. Roof Above employees honor the profound worth of each life and their work reflects it; meet people where they are and approach others with genuine curiosity; know they cannot do it alone and are stronger and smarter together.
- Master’s degree preferred.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary and competitive benefits package.