Coastal Carolina University is a public comprehensive liberal arts institution located in Conway, South Carolina, just nine miles from the Atlantic coastal resort city of Myrtle Beach. Coastal Carolina University enrolls over 10,000 students from 45 states and 58 nations. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the baccalaureate and selective master’s degrees of national and/or regional significance in the arts and sciences, business, humanities, education, and health and human services, a specialist degree in educational leadership, and PhD degrees in marine science and education.
For more information, please visit www.coastal.edu.
This position will report directly to the Vice President for Executive Initiatives/Chief of Staff.
The individual who occupies this position will be expected to serve as a senior leader, strategist, and partner to lead and manage the planning and execution of an integrated program of University marketing and communication.
Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Enhance the image and increase the awareness/understanding of the University and its programs.
- Serve as a member of the Executive Council.
- Manage the divisional operations and provide supervision for the Creative Services, Communication and Media Relations, Marketing and Branding, Photography, Video Production Services, and Web Content Management units.
- Serve as the spokesperson regarding news and public relation.
- At least five to seven years of increasing levels of leadership responsibilities in marketing and communication.
- Must demonstrate strong knowledge in the following areas:
– Principles and practices of marketing and communication for a university/college.
– Use of data and/or metrics to inform decision-making.
– Management and organizational concepts.
- Must demonstrate abilities in the following areas:
– Foster campus-wide approach to developing and implementing a comprehensive marketing and communication program.
– Application of market research and awareness of current trends and technology to establish the priorities for the University’s marketing and communication efforts.
– Clearly articulate marketing and communication strategies to non-subject matter experts.
- Must possess the following:
– Strong interpersonal, organizational, and supervisory skills in order to work efficiently and collaboratively with diverse internal and external populations.
– Exceptional project management skills.
– Strong attention to detail.
– Exceptional oral and written communication skills with the ability to listen well and demonstrate sensitivity and respect for individual needs.
– Excellent customer service skills with a commitment to work as a part of University-wide community.
– Demonstrated commitment to diversity and success in working with diverse constituencies (preferably both domestic and international) to support an equitable and inclusive campus environment.
- Flexibility in working schedule (beyond the normal Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm hours) to meet occasional special scheduling needs of the University.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communication, or a related field.
- Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary and competitive benefits package.
NOMINATIONS / APPLICATIONS:
The Associate Vice President for University Marketing and Communication will be selected by Coastal Carolina Vice President for Executive Initiatives/Chief of Staff upon consideration of a recommendation tendered by a search committee chaired by Dr. Kyle Holody. The Associate Vice President is expected to take office on or before December 1, 2022.
Nominations should include the nominee’s full name, position, institution/organization, and email address. Applications should consist of the following documents, to be submitted electronically in .pdf format: 1) a detailed letter of interest addressing the leadership agenda and qualifications as outlined in this profile; 2) a full resume/curriculum vitae with relevant administrative responsibilities and accomplishments; 3) a one- to two-page Statement of Contributions to Advance Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; and 4) a list of five professional references, including names, phone numbers, and email addresses, noting the candidate’s relationship for each reference. References will not be contacted until later in the search process and only with the candidate’s permission.
Coastal Carolina University is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, or disability in admissions, employment, and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
Coastal Carolina University is an EO/AA employer.