The American Association of Blacks in Energy (AABE) is a membership driven nonprofit organization established in 1977 as an independent voice on energy matters on behalf of the interests of Black people. Membership in the AABE is open to employees and owners of energy-related businesses and members of ancillary professions and organizations serving the energy industry. This includes consultants, educators, trade associations, local government and regulatory agencies, and students.
The purposes of AABE are the following:
- To serve as a resource for policy discussion of the economic, social, and political impact of environmental and energy policies on African Americans and other minorities.
- To ensure involvement of African Americans in governmental energy policymaking by recommending capable, sensitive, and informed personnel to appropriate officials.
- To encourage both the public and private sectors to be responsive to the problems, goals, and aspirations of African Americans in energy-related fields.
- To encourage African American students to pursue careers in energy-related fields and to provide scholarships and other financial aid for such students.
AABE’s mission is to provide direct input into the deliberations and developments of energy policies, regulations, emerging technologies, and environmental issues.
For more information, please visit www.aabe.org.
This position reports to the Board and leads a national staff team of four.
The President and Chief Executive Officer leads all facets of the organization to further the mission and provide services and support to its 2,000 members across the country. Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Work with the board to create or refresh the strategic plan to accurately reflect the current priorities and opportunities facing the industry and AABE membership.
- Oversee the administration and annual operating activities for AABE to ensure Association goals are met; work with staff to prepare programs and resources that align with AABE’s strategic plan priorities, goals, and objectives.
- Develop and lead a high performing and member-centric team that is focused on member service and delivery of top-quality products and services.
- Collaborate with a broad array of partners to ensure that industry priorities are incorporated into AABE’s work in a manner that maximizes synergies with other stakeholder organizations.
- Identify industry programs and AABE projects that amplify the industry “story” with industry executives and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that AABE products and communications support key industry public policy objectives.
- Embody a strong strategic skill set to ensure a sustainable business model that creates, delivers, and captures value for all stakeholders.
- Ensure that AABE work products convey the strategic value of this industry-wide effort to its executives and other stakeholders.
- Engage appropriate spokespeople to highlight key industry and AABE accomplishments and facilitate collaborative small and large convenings with other executives.
- Significant professional experience in the field of energy or a related sector.
- Ability to bring together diverse stakeholders and leverage the resources of those organizations including trade associations.
- Change agent; experience transforming or growing programs.
- Outstanding communicator, both verbal and written.
- Proven track record of building or rebuilding an organization or program.
- Zealous ambassador able to increase engagement of current members and recruit new or returning members.
- Highly consultative and collaborative style.
- Strategic; forward thinking approach.
- Strong financial acumen; ability to be analytical and financially focused on resources of the organization including in-kind contributions.
- Staff management experience.
- College degree required.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity, and competitive benefits package.